In anticipation of publishing the Reckless Faith trilogy in Kindle format, I’ve hacked up the first book based on the pretty much universal criticisms I’ve received over the years. It only took me two hours to cut almost 10% of the novel, addressing perhaps the most common complaint that the story was longer than it needed to be. Other revisions include:
1. The scene introducing Devonai and Richter investigating the destruction of the USS Portland has been moved to the prologue as a flash-forward. Chapter One begins with “Eleven days earlier.”
2. Added a scene where John breaks up with his girlfriend in the first chapter. It is also made clear that he was an avionics technician in the Air Guard.
3. Deleted the scene where Ari buys her pistol.
4. The bank robbery, shootout, and death of Ray’s partner have been deleted. These events are revealed later by Ray at his cabin, prior to the arrival of the orb.
5. Most of Dana and Levi running around New England, including their car accident, has been deleted.
6. John’s confession to Ray that he could have prevented Ari’s capture by the CIA has been deleted.
7. Changed the location of the theft of the GAU 8/A weapons systems from Barnes to Bradley, and added a more realistic response by base personnel. Also mentioned the theft of B-29 turrets from the New England Air Museum.
8. Added a brief dream sequence with Dana and the Kira’To, which is mentioned again in Bitter Arrow.
9. Deleted other minor parts here and there that neither served to further the plot nor developed characters.
The book is now 91,000 words, and hopefully a more tightly plotted story.